Skip To Content
Story of our School
Establish in 1806, as the Cornwall Grammar School by John Strachan, CCVS has a long, and important history both in the city of Cornwall and in Canada. 

The first school, on the current site, was built in 1877 with the entrance off of Fourth Street. At the time, the school had 3 teachers and approximately 100 students. Upon celebrating its Centennial, there were over 300 students and eight teachers. 

1877 school

As the school population grew, additions were made to the building to accommodate having more students and the introduction of new programs and classes such as the gymnasium, shops and auditorium. 





Unfortunately, an earthquake in 1944 left the building quite damaged requiring significant repair. 



In 1956, the building from 1877 was demolished in order to create a new wing addition. 


During the 1970s several changes were again again made to the structure which now closely resembles what we see today. 



More recently, changes have been made to the building to support school amalgamations and the welcoming of grade 7 and 8s to the building. CCVS continues to maintain a long tradition of excellence and connection to its community. 


**photo credits to the Cornwall Library and Archives Canada. Information credits to Garry Trudeau**

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.